It’s hard to feel good when you feel bad. It’s not easy to keep from venting when you had a really cruddy day. It almost seems inhuman or like a lie to say you feel well when your throat is so sore you can hardly speak. The discipline of happiness, a real happiness that you can manifest your dreams from, is truly a practice.
We practice yoga, train for that half-marathon, prepare for a new baby or go back to school to study for a new career, but how much do we train our minds for peace throughout all of life’s demands? How many days go by without a clear vision or intent to experience completeness? There is no when I get that job or that relationship or finally end the fertility saga and have that baby that will make anything but a temporary happiness. In fact, the pressure we end up putting on externals to complete us means inevitably they won’t live up to our lofty expectations. The lasting stuff that transcends external situations? That, well, it takes discipline.
If we were able to put as much time into our energetic space as we put into our jobs or families, we might progress faster, but then thing about euphoric living is that it has to work within real life. If we create enough space in our lives, clear out enough toxic people, leave this boss and get a less demanding job, even separate from a significant other, we are living in what alive come to think of as “The Bachelor” syndrome. Anyone can fall is love with hours of free time to do whatever you want, no one to be in conflict with, but then we’d be alone and probably not living up to our own goals. To get a vacation state of mind all the time, we gotta practice.
Practice what? Practice happiness. Know how to maintain all kinds of relationships without getting drained by them. Apply a self-love and self-compassion that doesn’t take a seven-day juice fast, a spa day or a girl’s weekend. Yes we’d like that too but practical, quick, easily integrated skills to keep our happiness 90% of the day? Now that would really be useful, wouldn’t it?
So how do we do it? How do we train for happiness? How do we practice flow so well that we can manifest things in our lives quickly and easily?
Here’s a start:
- You Get What You Are: Your first job is always you. I know this job is never actually complete, but without it some momentum, all you will see in your life is more of what you already have. Your life is a reflection of your self-love. Your self-love is the only way to access true love and compassion for others. Without clearing out all your insecurity, guilt, jealousies and disparaging thoughts. So when the mind gunk comes up, talk to it, bathe it in love, put wings on it and send it on its way. That’s what works for me. Ignoring it and re-centering yourself on a positive, loving works really well too. With practice, you will find what works best for you. Keep at it. The more you adore you, the easier everything else will be.
- Stop Venting: If we want more happiness, why would we focus on what’s frustrating us? If we want more positive relationships, why would be complain about our kids or nitpick our friend’s everyone word? It doesn’t make much sense, does it? The more we vent, the more we send out negative vibes for the universe to reflect back to us. Sure, sometimes we’ve got to get it out, but in this case, less is more.
I’ll continue practicing these right along with ya, and share more ideas very soon!
And namaste to the ever-inspiring, Wayne Dyer, whose gone on to serve on a much higher plane. Sharing his wisdom and how I’ve used it in my life is a source of joy for me. 🙏🏻
While you sleep, your body works on healing. Spiritual gurus also believe your subconscious works on whatever your predominate energy and thoughts are when you fall asleep.
If you think about it, the times that we are most in flow is when aren’t thinking so much. When we are in the present moment, we feel a joy and love that is powerfully creating more joy & love.
So many of us are striving for flow in our everyday lives and sleep is a tool that makes our days smoother. When we sleep, our subconscious can work without our endlessly distracting thoughts.
Try these steps to harness those restful hours to create a better day and sleep your dreams into reality:
- Clear your energy before your head hits the pillow. Journal, meditate, recite a mantra. Whatever helps you tune into positive energy to take with you into sleep. According to Wayne Dyer, and many others I’m sure, love, the all-encompassing, unconditional kind, is the most powerful manifesting energy there is. With practice, if you can invoke a sense of pure love anytime, anywhere, manifesting your dreams becomes a lot easier.
- Review your vision, your absolute biggest dreams. Do this while oozing love. Practice feeling what you’d feel if that dream were already your reality. Anything that exists was first imagined. If you invoke a sense that what you’ve commanded is already in your reality, you will take more actions to support its “real-ness” and the universe will match it.
- Sleep. And sleep. And sleep. 😉
- Wake up in gratitude and faith knowing that which you wish for is already yours. If we have faith in the universe, we have to assume that anything we need to make our dreams a reality will be presented to us when the moment is right.
That’s it. So go forth and sleep your wishes into your reality. 🙏🏻
When we talk about energy, I don’t mean how quickly you hop out of bed in the morning or whether you slump in the afternoon. What I’m talking about is your reaction to things that are going on in your life. Does spending money make you feel panicked? Does a certain relationship make your energy frantic? Does helping someone fill you will a a sense of calm or completeness? I spent hours, really years, caught up in the raging river of my thoughts. For me, they’re a trap of explanations, justifications & constructs. But my energy? It never lies. Plus, isn’t personal. You don’t need to feel guilty over having a rude thought about someone, or get frustrated that you can’t be nicer to yourself. Focusing on energy has made life a lot easier for me. I hope it’s true for you too. Tips for Clearing Blocked Energy
- Check is with your energetic space a few times an hour. I’m serious. The sooner to catch a block, the quicker you can clear it. Also, the more often you do it, the sooner it will become habit.
- When you notice your thoughts going wild over something, set a trigger to switch to observing your energy. My most useful trigger these days is a big, blue door with a giant lock on it. I simply close the door with a thud and clank the lock shut and it’s done.
- If you can, stop whatever you are doing for a few minutes. We can’t all sit in contemplative meditation for hours. Good thing we don’t have to. With practice, it only takes minutes to reset energy. And, taking those minutes while at your desk at work, in the middle of a conversation with a toxic relative or stuck in traffic when you have somewhere to be, are really the best times to create the most effective meditation you possibly can.
We all have blocks that prevent us from realizing our highest potential, and even a year-long sabbatical won’t really teach us what we need to know to keep our zen in this busy, demanding world.
We can’t reject every whiny person we meet, distance ourselves from every family drama, or stay in bed instead of facing deadlines. Honestly, if we did all that we’d be lonely and fired ;).
In the end, it’s better to practice building the world’s most agile suit of armor to engage life fully instead of sitting on the sidelines.